The Washington Post reports that President Obama is running his reelection campaign as a "culture warrior," trying to cast his opponents as extremists on such issues as abortion in the case of rape and requiring religious institutions to pay for contraception. But could Obama's own extremism on abortion come back to bite him?
During a 2003 press conference, Barack Obama indicated that he thought abortion should be legal in all situations, even late in pregnancy:
OBAMA: “I am pro-choice.”
REPORTER: “In all situations including the late term thing?”
OBAMA: “I am pro-choice. I believe that women make responsible choices and they know better than anybody the tragedy of a difficult pregnancy and I don’t think that it’s the government’s role to meddle in that choice.”
In another interview, Obama said: "I voted no on the late-term abortion ban, not because I don't recognize that these are painful issues but because I trust women to make these decisions."
But over the years, Obama has been shifty on the issue of late-term abortion. As an Illinois state senator, Obama opposed the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act. The problem, in Obama's own words, was that in some cases the "fetus, or child -- however you want to describe it" was "not just coming out limp and dead." Supporters of the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act wanted to require doctors to provide medical care to these infants, while Obama wanted to leave it up to the discretion of the abortionist to determine whether these infants had a reasonable chance of sustained life.
But when Obama ran for president in 2008, he said that he supported states' banning late-term abortions so long as the bans contained a "strict" exception for the physical health of the mother. Days later, Obama modified his position, saying he also supported an exception for "serious clinical mental health diseases." Supreme Court reporter Jan Crawford noted at the time that Obama's position was still "startling" because the exceptions Obama claimed to support were narrower than the Supreme Court's 1973 edict in Doe v. Bolton that there must be “emotional, psychological, familial, and ... age" exceptions to late-term abortion bans.
H/T Weekly Standard and Jill Stanek.
In other words, all nine months, any reason.
Remember Moochy campaigning for Partial Birth Abortion?
Laughable when abortion zealots claim empowerment when they are so willing to leave it to the 'discretion of the abortionist'. Patriarchy, anyone?
According to Dr. Martin Haskell, the man who invented the partial-birth abortion procedure, most abortions after 5 months of pregnancy are “purely elective.”
“I’ll be quite frank: most of my abortions are elective in that 20-24 week range,” he said in a 1993 interview with American Medical News. “In my particular case, probably 20% are for genetic reasons. And the other 80% are purely elective.”
It is worth noting that Obama’s support for such late-term, third trimester abortions is at odds with nearly 90% of the U.S. population. Truly an extreme view.